Friday, June 18, 2010

"She Makes a Mean Bowl of Cereal"

One of the many thrills of getting married is being showered with so many fun gifts. Specifically, the culinary gadgets and do-dads that you’ve never needed prior to getting married, but always saw in your mother’s kitchen; So you registered for them! I have a new fascination with using as many as possible while cooking every meal. Why do it the old college way, when you can have the cuisinart do it for you right!?

When asked if I was a good cook, Tim used to always say, “She makes a mean bowl of cereal.” Although funny, I felt it was an injustice to my womanhood, as well as being an obvious backhanded compliment. I love you dearly Tim, but other than milk to cereal proportions and deciding to use the big or small spoon, what’s to making a bowl of cereal anyway!!!?? To my defense, it’s not that I am or was ever a bad cook; I just didn’t do much “cooking” at all. As Tim like to call it, I “prepared” food from Trader Joe’s delectable frozen food section or made egg whites….all the time ;)
Little does he know that it’s these comments that have driven me to explore the world of cooking in hopes to win the ultimate honor of my husband’s Parlier Stamp of Approval.
All to say, I have been married for 8 weeks (and counting) and have happily broadened my culinary skills to the utmost, having even constructed my own creations! I find it relaxing, yet challenging, sometimes irritating, EXPENSIVE, but so wonderfully rewarding when we sit at the dinner table together over a home cooked meal. I also find that the more gadgets and utensils I use, from putting my ingredients in tiny bowls (like on the cooking shows) to experimenting with my steamer, it makes it so much more fun!
I have to thank my Mom, Dad, Step mom, Ashley and my new neighbor Katy as my cookery resources/recipe owners ;) And of course, all the generous people that gave us new fun toys like our waffle maker, steamer, Pyrex set, and Bullet blender! 
I will keep you posted as I embark on this Top Chef Journey of being the Ultimate Wife. So, far, I think only my Enchiladas and Wine Cake (both family recipes) have received the stamp of Parlier Approval, but there is no stopping me!

In the meantime, any advice for this newlywed cook is appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. "I find it relaxing, yet challenging, sometimes irritating, EXPENSIVE, but so wonderfully rewarding when we sit at the dinner table together over a home cooked meal..." ...well put, I agree. =) This is so funny- i made the same transition when i became a wifey. So many fun utensils and gadgets to cook, prepare, and serve food with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi allison..

    I do hope you share your new creations with us!!

    ReplyDelete